Lawn Mower Tune up Checklist
This is a basic checklist with routine procedures to start your lawn mower maintenance. Please always refer to your owner’s manual for manufacturer specific tune-up recommendations.
Check Air Filter
- Clean the air filter to remove any built-up debris.
- Replace the filter if it is damaged or torn or out of shape.
- Clean spark plug with wire brush and ignition cleaner to remove combustion residue.
- Replace the spark plug if damaged or the electrode is worn down.
- Check the oil level. If it’s too low, add oil to the recommended level on the dipstick.
- Change the oil if you did not do so before storage in the fall. It’s always best to start the season fresh.
- Make sure any old gas has been removed from fuel tank.
- Treat new fuel by adding a fuel stabilizer each and every time you buy new gas.
- Sharpen dull blades. A dull blade will tear the grass rather than giving a clean cut.
- Replace blades if damaged, have excessive dents, or if the metal is wearing thin after several sharpenings.
- Check for frayed or worn belts. Replace a belt if needed.
- Clean the top and underside of the deck to remove all that old dried up grass.
Hipa’s Safety Tips: Remember to disconnect the spark plug before servicing or repairing any power equipment. Remember to wear safety glasses and gloves to protect against harmful chemicals and debris.
Please let us know if this works and if you have any suggestions or comments. Or you can join us to feature your passion for repair projects, share your stories with the Hipa family, and get help from Hipa.